Working with Michael to get some screencasts done. Sent him some notes, login details etc today.
Updates from Beau Lebens Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
The day after close, and there’s a sudden void in my life… what to do with all this spare time? Ahh.. documentation.
Argh! Last minute drama as I discover that one of the privacy-modifying plugins that I selected for use doesn’t actually work properly on all Posts/Pages on this version of WPMU.
Playing with WP Super Cache. Seems to clash with this alpha version of bbPress, so not going to be able to use it (without some debugging, which I don’t really have time for).
I got the homepage set, so it’s all ready to rock. Navigation needs some work. I also poked around and made some changes here and there, and started cleaning up a few areas as I spotted them. Definitely feel free to change anything I’ve done (esp things like the events page — http://wpshowdown.com/blog/category/events/)
You’ll probably want to add some more sample content to really get a feel for things – I stupidly entered a bunch on my laptop so that doesn’t help you much If you want to add an event, just make a post and assign it to the “Events” category, then a new box should appear below the post area where you enter date/location details.
Here’s some specific elements that I know definitely need work/building/attention:
- Comments (should be threaded, with gravatars)
- Sociable icons
- Post Ratings (I’d like to get this consistent on bbPress as well if possible, even though it’s a different plugin)
- Wiki-style revision history (e.g. at the bottom of this page when you’re logged in http://wpshowdown.com/about/)
- Contact form (you can see it in action here now http://wpshowdown.com/contact/)
- File uploads listings. I’ve uploaded a couple files here so you can see how (ugly) it is: http://wpshowdown.com/about/press/
- Homepage needs some filler content to see what’s what, and then an overhaul
- Forum pages (http://wpshowdown.com/forums/forum/general) need their form cleaned up a lot.
- Topic pages (http://wpshowdown.com/forums/topic/whats-everyone-doing) need all kinds of help Let’s get gravatar in there as well, perhaps something like http://mybabyourbaby.com/forums/topic/feature-requests-for-mybabyourbabycom)
- Need to specifically style the file uploads section (I need to confirm that it’s working as welll…).
- Links to people should go to the main blog, their author page. We’re going to set that up as a “global profile”. So something like http://wpshowdown.com/author/beaulebens/ although that doesn’t seem to work :-/
By my count, there are now around 19 hours remaining. There are lots of bits and pieces to be done. It’s mostly coming together nicely though. Looking forward to a solid day of knocking it all out, testing all the bits and pieces and generally polishing it up. It’s mostly theme work and user-facing stuff now — wp-admin is pretty solid.
Things are all coming together. Barry helped out to get sub-directories working properly with some Rewrite Voodoo, and we’ve got a working copy installed on the server to play with. Noel will knock out most of the rest of the theme tomorrow morning and I’m working on building out the homepage right now so that it shows all the right posts. Things are looking good.
The installer is almost completely automated now, and works like a charm (for me anyway!). It automatically configures pretty much everything so that you’re running out of the box with the appropriate plugins/themes activated and configured. Could use some checking to see if the defaults make sense. Cookie integration will also need to be confirmed on a “real domain”.
Watching logs. This is a fun command to use on your access_log to spot errors. It only shows you things that aren’t “successful”:
tail -f /var/log/httpd/access_log | grep -v ” 200 ” | grep -v ” 304 “
I’m in ur plugins, fixin’ ur WPMU compatibility